A DIARY OF SOME SIGNIFICANT
DATES IN 150 YEARS

 

JULY 20th 1858

Society started in 1858, show had ploughing and hedging classes.
Competition added Rick building and Rick thatching for corn and hay.
Long service awards for Waggoner 's, cow men also lady servants and labourers who brought up family without parochial help.

Field competition 4 acres of Swedes or mangolds and 1 gallon jar cider with a Mottoe.

1861

3 Best acres of polled hopyard under care of labourer

1862

To surveyor for highways in South Shropshire Best garden attached to homestead

1870

Best ox fence

1884

Best shepherd with most lambs in proportion to ewes Bets hop sample Ladies butter and cheese classe

1891

Best sheep shearing classes

1896

Best turned out team of horses

1899

Class for 4 steers, 4 heifers, 4 calves, ewe lambs (believed firstly judged on farms)
Mr W. Norris retired as secretary had a clock and illuminated address.
Mr W. Baldwin father of Sir Archer Baldwin the MP voted secretary.
Show got bound schedules
First show dinner took place at The Swan Hotel
Admission 3/6d also the first charging to enter the show was introduced.

1902

Show moved to Palmers Meadow

1909

Sir Stanley Baldwin MP later Prime Minister was President

1912

Show had a Military Band

1914 - 1918

No Shows were held, but subscriptions collected and sent to The Red Cross.

1919

Mr S. Mattock, the Auctioneer was appointed Secretary.

1920

Mr W. Baldwin, past Secretary was appointed President.

1921

Pedigree Livestock Classes were introduced.

1922

Mr H. T. Nott was President and Poultry Classes were introduced.

1925

Sir Archer Baldwin, the M.P. was President. He later became the Society's First Gold Medalist.

1929

Under the Presidency of Mr E. B. Fielden, Motor Cycle events were introduced, also "The Cee-mee" Sisters in a charming ‘humpsi-bumpsi' act!!!

1934

The first parade of the Ludlow Hounds, by their Master Lt. Col. Kennedy, M.F.H.

1935

Mr T. E. Smart was President - the last Show for many years because of the War and its aftermath.

1948

The Show was restarted with Mr H. B. Morgan, the Auctioneer now as Secretary. Mr S. Mattock having retired, being presented with one of the first T.V. sets in Tenbury. The Show was held on Castle Meadow, Burford. A bit limited the first year, with Horse and Pony classes and Horse Jumping.

1949

Mr T. E. Smart elected President for the third time, the Show returned to the Palmers Meadow, its old home, which had been ploughed up for some years under war time ploughing regulations. The Autumn Show and the Ploughing Match were brought back with the Hedging Competition, after a lapse of many years. The Society then had a long line of very successful Shows.

1953

It was decided to abandon the Ploughing and Hedging Match.

1954

Dr Blundell-Williams was elected President. He presented a Gold Medal to be awarded for services to Agriculture and Horticulture over a three year period by a member of the Society.

1955

Under the Presidency of Mr J. Sumner, the Show saw a tremendous increase in Pedigree Hereford Classes.

1956

Mr J Nott, M.B.E. was elected President and a record entry of Livestock in all classes was reported.

1957

The Centenary Year
In appreciation of the great service to agriculture and to the Society, Mr T. Smart was invited to be President again, with Mr J. B. Sumner as Chairman. The Show continued to thrive with all the Livestock Classes well supported, with many Hunter and Pony Classes now in the schedule. Many classes were introduced for Sheep
and Commercial Lambs and Goats had a lot of entrants. The Horticultural Marquee got ever larger.

1983

Moved to Worcester Road, Burford. Introduction of The National Hereford Show

2008

150th Anniversary. Moved to Riverside ground.

The Show's 150th Anniversary in 2008 has now passed and a very memorable and lovely year it was for the society, which was founded way back on July 20th 1858 when a meeting was called at The Corn Exchange under the Chairmanship of Sir W. Smith when it was decided to form The Tenbury Agricultural Society forthwith for the Teme Valley and surrounding area.

During the first 40 years the show travelled around as a ploughing match to which competitions were added. It was felt that a permanent site was needed so Mr W. Norris was appointed secretary (a post he held for about 40 years). A permanent site was provided on Castle Meadow by Lord Northwick a great benefactor of the show and we are still going today over 150 years later.

The 150 years were celebrated in 2008. A special committee was set up under the Chairmanship of David Hodges to arrange a series of events and it was decided to write a book "Changing Scenes" to catalogue the Society's history and the changing scene of agriculture and horticulture in the Teme Valley, (the decline of the hops and fruit, closing of markets) ..... one could go on!! However lots of new methods have come along, oilseed rape, round and square balers, combines, cattle passports and much, much more ......

We also now have the supermarkets where much of the food is bought for our over 60 million population. Now a lot of food is air freighted in from all corners of the world, seasons have ceased to count, we now have a lot of new ethnic groups who don't eat the traditional roast beef and pork of old England, just take a walk round the local supermarket.

In 2008 the Society organized an Ox Roast at Netherwood by kind permission of Lord and Lady Clifton. Our president Burgess Adams and his wife Rosemary organized a Presidents Ball at Birchley Mill which went very well and where the new book was on sale, this was collated and researched by David and Joyce Spilsbury, each committee member having a section to research.

When the show started, most of the houses and farms in the Teme and Kyre Valleys were on estates. We researched 29 estates. Now there are only 2. Many people and local businesses were interviewed and freely gave a most interesting account of their families and the way they had contributed to life in the Tenbury area. A wonderful gift to posterity and for future generations to read.

The Society had a new logo designed by Mrs June Davies, which is used on all stationery and also on the show tie, which looks very smart.

The Annual Show Dinner was a great success, where the show's gold medal was awarded to Rosemary Ayres, our Assistant Secretary, the first time it has been awarded to a lady, so history was made and very richly deserved!!!

Also a church service was held at St Marys, Tenbury organized by Ray Morris, Clive Davies, david Powell and rosemary Pritchard, which was a very successful event.

The shows goes on we hope for many more years.... It always had to change like most shows to try to meet new challenges.

We now have to try to sell an agricultural and horticultural show to a large urban population. One hears the comment "it's not like it used to be" well nothing is, the whole world is constantly changing. Tenbury changes, so lets all join the band wagon Tenbury only sells the very best!

K. S. Yapp